A Gentle Approach to Pest Prevention
There’s nothing quite like realizing that your home is infested with termites. The prospect of working tirelessly to reverse the infestation is enough to overwhelm even the most levelheaded homeowner. You might have trouble figuring out where to start.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to prevent and even delay a termite infestation. A few of these are gentler than the approach required for elimination.
What Do Termites Need to Survive?
For all their mystery, termites are fairly simple creatures. The subterranean termites that plague homeowners in Arizona need three basic things to survive:
- Moist soil
- A ready source of water or moisture
- Wood or woody plants
Use the Termite’s Natural Behavior Against It
With these three basic needs in mind, it’s possible to turn the tables on termites and naturally prevent them from gaining access to your house:
- Extend gutters and downspouts to at least two feet beyond your home’s foundation to prevent excess soil moisture
- Don’t use bark mulch near foundations
- Grade your yard to shunt water away from your foundation, not towards it
- Don’t pile wood or other supplies of cellulose near your foundation or exterior walls
- Don’t plant trees or shrubs flush against your house
- Keep wood siding at least six inches above the ground
- Remove stumps from near your home
What If You’re Already Facing an Infestation?
Unfortunately, there are hard limits to the impact that you can have on encroaching termites without employing more forceful means. If termites are already inside the foundation or structure of your home, these preventive measures won’t be enough to turn back the infestation. At best, they may prevent larger numbers of worker termites from entering your home. Either way, you’ll need professional assistance to get every last one out of the house.
Getting Rid of Termites in Phoenix and Tucson, Arizona
No matter how you decide to approach your termite problem, you might not see results overnight. Termites are products of millions of years of evolution and have a stunning range of defenses against attack. They’re also quite creative at finding their way into human habitations. If you need a little extra help in your quest to rid your home and property of these destructive critters, request a quote below.