You open your garbage can and shriek with disgust. A thick layer of white, wiggling insects covers your rotting trash. Did your leftover rice come to life? Did aliens invade the kitchen? Should you call an exorcist? Where on earth did these disgusting things come from? Relax. They’re just maggots.
Think of Them as Cute Little Baby Flies
They didn’t crawl into your can, so you can stop boarding up the doors. The source of your maggots was that pesky housefly you’ve been chasing around for three days. When flies lay their eggs in rotting food or other organic material, the squiggly, white maggots are the charming larvae that emerge. You won’t meet many people who don’t automatically wrinkle their noses at the thought of maggots. They’re a common cause of spontaneous retching, and they’re often employed as extras in horror films. Here are a few more maggot facts that may entertain, appall and horrify you.
Grosser and Gross Maggot Facts
- Maggots are gainfully employed as bait by the fishing industry.
- They also help forensic scientists date corpses. The species and number of maggots on a dead body can help determine the victim’s time of death.
- Garbage isn’t a maggot’s only delicacy. Some fly species lay eggs on live animals and humans. Botflies lay eggs in wounds, and the maggots that hatch begin to feed on living tissue.
- One of the most disturbing yet effective uses for maggots is wound care. When placed on a non-healing wound, maggots will quickly consume the dead tissue while leaving the live tissues untouched. Medical maggots are actually regulated by the Food and Drug Administration.
- Maggots are edible and can serve as a food source during times of famine.
- You can kill maggots by pouring boiling water over them, steaming them, or placing a bowl of beer near them. They like to party.
We Can Conquer the Squirming Masses
When squiggling invaders seem to appear out of nowhere, Phoenix and Tucson residents know who to call. At Burns Pest Elimination, we understand how flies get into your home and become a problem. We can help you get rid of adult flies and reduce your chances of retching at the sight of maggots the next time you open your garbage can. Visit us online for an estimate today, and keep your summer nausea-free.